12 timeless reasons why libraries are good for the country and why librarians cannot be replaced by search engines:
• They inform citizens and help them find not just information but accurate and authoritative information and knowledge.
• They break down social boundaries by being open to all.
• They level the playing field between the haves and the have-nots, the rich and the poor.
• They value the individual and independent thinking and learning beyond the classroom.
• They nourish creativity.
• They open children’s minds to the world around them.
• They return high dividends on a relatively small investment.
• They build communities and can be the intellectual centers of the communities they serve, whether that is a town, a university, a school, an organization, or a business.
• They challenge you to examine controversies, to understand, and to make your own decisions.
• They offer opportunities for lifelong learning.
• They provide a safe haven, a sanctuary.
• They preserve the past, the record of human existence.